Sunday, October 12, 2008

Special Feature: The NorthFace 100 Support Team


[Parental Advisory: Mature Theme]

For those who do not know, this is one heck of a race. Two equally mad buddies run 50 km on a seemingly disgusting route. For those who still do not get it, take out your calculators:

2 Crazy Buddies X 50 km = NorthFace100. Simple Mathematics!

Because I was SANE and not high on alcohol, I did not join this race. I decided to join the support group from Team FatBird and SGRunners.com to have a look at the maniacs and of course, to take photos (as requested) of their lovely tired faces.



Being a water boy for a day was no joke. I felt like a coolie, loading sacks of ice and bottles of isotonic drinks on the two cars, driven by Friends of FatBird: Sealboon and Spencer. (On the side note, Spencer threatens people by pressing the hazard light button and asking you to get out of the car (even on the highway). Talk about road rage!)

As we arrived at our first site (along air rifle road), we spotted a naked Barbie doll, FatBird Terry was VERY EXCITED. We began to 'open coffee shop' and served drinks to familiar faces while whipping up Bloody-Mary's for the mosquitoes. My legs were horribly disfigured by the bite marks and I was scratching profusely. FatBird Friend Senza on the other hand looked like she was possessed, doing this crazy 'get-those-yeeky-mosquitoes-away-from-me' dance ritual. This was when FatBird Esther came up with the thoughtful idea of getting mosquito repellant. The not so brilliant part was when she helped me SPRAY my OPEN WOUNDS AND ROAD RASH from my bicycle accident.



Having topped up petrol and supplies from NTUC, we proceeded to the next checkpoint where there were no mosquitoes. But it drizzled on us. Apparently this was seen as a good thing because we could now use our cute little yellow ducky ponchos. At this point, everyone looked so shagged that we offered everything we had to all runners (except the cars, radio, poultry and umbrellas). We really tried our best, and most of the time we successfully put a smile back on those war torn faces! Who could resist the satisfaction of our donuts, deep heat, ice water bath (provided by FatBird Charmane, the car wash girl) and ice cold 100 plus. Oh, we even offered them Spencer the donut man, which was somewhat disturbing altogether, but made them run a lot faster than before!



As we drew closer to the end of the event, we had to pack up and return to the finish point to welcome the heroes back home. Umm, and take their photos of course. Everyone who finished, both before and after the cut-off has my respect - it was a hard run indeed!


On my part, it was a day well spent. And I too feel like I have accomplished SOMETHING.

Yes, something like eating for 8 hours while everyone was running their lungs out. Just so they feel bad, I will recap! I had:

1 X Polar Hotdog Bun

1 X Polar Chicken Pie

6 X Donuts from Donut Factory

1 X BBQ Chicken that Senza bought me =D (Except the chicken BUM which _ _ _ _ _ _ took)
Some chocolates, chips and biscuits along the way.

AND

1 X Nasi Goreng Pattaya to top it off.

Okay, This fantastic and sexy on site field report was brought to you by FatBird Edwin

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails