Monday, November 3, 2008

GE Women 10km - 26 October 2008

Field Report Filed By FatBird Jancy

It was a very humid morning. I had to walk very fast to the start point which was shifted from the Esplanade Bridge to beside One Raffles Link. The humidity really made me feel warm.

After introducing the elite runners and the guests of honour, the emcee started the race at 7.30am. Due to the fact that I started at the back of the pack, I had to weave my way throught the crowd of fellow lady runners for the first 1-1.5km.

After the initial 2km, the run was a smooth one through. I studied the map of route the fday before and lamented that there were many u-turns to make. But in actual fact, it were loops we made and not abrupt u-turns. There was no traffic light to stop for or narrow lane to negotiate. There was no chaotic merging with the 5km runners at all.

The drink stations were about 2.5km apart. Both water and isotonic drinks were served. There was enough for all and I didn't have to fight for any when I stopped at the 5km one to hydrate myself.

The most interest part of the route, I feel, was on the F1 race course. The ground was new and soft and the lane was wide. It as surprising quiet in this stretch. What an irony when it was just about 1 month ago that the FI Grand Prix was held there. I enjoyed this stretch the most.

The finish line was between Padang and the City Hall. Just round the bend at the Singapore Cricket Club, I could see the finish gantry and spectators flanking the finish chute. I finished with a very "show-off" pose.

The post race carnival was a very good one. There was ample supply of bananas, water and isotonic drinks. There was a booth giving out free cups of jello too. The best of them all was the booth that printed free photos of wallet size for you after you have your pictures taken by their official roaming camermen.

This was the 3 GE Women 10k but my 2nd run. I will come back again next year and I will recommend this run to all ladies. Can't do 10? Never mind! There is a 5km segment as well. And whether you are doing 10 or 5, your name will be a personalised one.

GE Women 10k.... Great race.... Good run....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails