Monday, November 10, 2008

Know Your Pacers Part 4: 5hrs 15mins and 5hrs 30mins Pacers

The team comprises of: Chantelle Wong, CK Tan, Terry Ang and Edwin Low (Previously 5:00hr)

Chantelle Wong

"Running was never something I thought as being 'girly'.

Until, I took part in my 1st 10KM run in 2004 – the KLIM. From 10km to 42km….and now I am hooked! Running isn't just for the guys – it is definitely for gals.
Am I nuts? Probably. But am I motivated? Definitely! Running has mysteriously made its way into my daily life and weekly routine. Putting my finger on what it is that makes me love pounding the pavement, waking up at 5am to train is hard – accomplishment, finding that higher state of mind when distance is just a number, testing and pushing yourself to the limit, being in the company of like-minded similarly driven runners…

Running has given me a whole new bunch of friends who have become an important part of my life – my motivators and sifus, who help me with pace and long distance running.

Yes, running is a commitment (kind of like a relationship really, you have to work at it you know). But it's a commitment that honestly, I don't mind making. Okay, sometimes at 6.30am, when I'm running around ECP, I do think about why I'm doing it. Or when I give up Friday and Saturdays out…
Is it worth it? Yes, it is worth it all!

Sure, sometimes, you stop to wonder: why do I run?
And the answer always comes back: I just do.

The team comprises of: Nicholas, Beverly, Esther and Terence

Beverly

My marathon journey started 3 years ago when I realized I need to get in shape and better health. I started off with short runs of 3km, then 6km and finally 10km. I participated in some of the women's 5km and 10km races, and the running bug stuck with me.

I enjoy running as it brings lots of benefits to me. I am more alert and I rarely fall sick. The FatBird training run and I-Runs of which I had the pleasure of joining, have certainly helped me to be more prepared (mentally and physically) to complete a full marathon. I have participated in 2 marathons, a number of half-marathons and 10km distances.

All my efforts have paid off when I did my marathon PB of 4hr28min at the ChunCheon Marathon in Korea. I hope to be able to share some of my distance running experiences and win together with the 5:30hr Pacees at the coming Standard Chartered Marathon.

Terence Teo

I started running in September 2007 with the goal to lose weight and stay healthy. Back then, I am often known as a Fat Boy in the family as I weighed closed to 80kg but with discipline and detemination, I took up the challenge to lose weight and eventually shed of 20kg by February - March 2008. I am not fat in the past (and in actual fact I have a very small bone structure) but after I started taking medication for treatment of a birth defect, I started putting on weight and days in the army didn't really help either and thus it lead to the ballooning of a fat boy. However, I am not giving myself any chance to go back to the me I used to be. It is no longer about losing the weight but enjoying my runs, enjoying the times when we are all running together and more importantly staying healthy.

I constantly remind myself of the tough times that I had gone through to be what I am today and I will never give running up. So come race day, follow my team members and I as we cross the finishing line together: You, Me and Us for 5.30! Never Give Up!



The team comprises of: James Lua, Rosalind Yap, Weison and Joe.

Rosalind Yap

I love running. I love the feel of warm breeze caressing my face & hair as I surged forward. I love the feel of my heart pulsating with every heel strike, every breath drawn. I love the natural high after a long & good run. Running is my passion and my stress-reliever. I have been running since 1995 and ran my maiden marathon last year at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon under the guidance of my dear friend and coach, Ronnie.


To me, training season is always filled with a sense of purpose and esprit de corps, for that is when runners put in the hours and effort, and forgo their beauty sleep to train hard in the wee hours of the weekend mornings. Not to mention also, all that running puts a healthy glow on your skin and shaves off some years off your countenance! (better than SKII does!) Having also ran countless 10km(s) & 21km(s), I thought it’s time to help others attain their goal of completing their race in good time. Half-marathon is a good starter to the novice runner who wishes to complete a full-marathon eventually. Come follow our pace and win your race! All I want to say is “Enjoy your run, listen to your body!” Run safe so you can run longer!

Lim Weison


I started running seriously when I was in JC 1. Took the unorthodox route of joining track and field even though I had no prior experience in the CCA. The going was tough in the beginning, but I gradually started to enjoy the training sessions and the post-workout high.

I did my maiden half marathon at this year Army Half Marathon as a challenge to myself to complete it. Before that, the longest distance I ran was only 10km. In order to become a better runner, I have always ask myself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'. As a pacer for the half marathon, I hope to be able to inspire people to achieve their personal best in the half marathon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails