Thursday, April 2, 2009

2009 Aviva Ironman 70.3 - The Free Guide!

This guide and field report is based on an actual event.

It aims to help you do a 70.3 in three simple steps: Read. Understand. Do.

Author will take no responsibility in any unfortunate outcome of following this.

By Fatbird Edwin, IronBoy.

Sometimes, the best way to understand, is to challenge. That is what I feel the Big ‘I’ in ‘Ironman’ is about. It is simple.

Rule #1: The achievement is based on the goal that you set for yourself.

Rule #2: No matter the outcome, the satisfaction is overwhelming. Because, you tried.
It was time for my second triathlon and 70.3 miles was the distance I set out to complete. Approximately 9 times longer than my previous mini triathlon, it was either a great leap of faith or a silly and rash decision.

Rule #3: When in doubt, JUMP!!!
I cannot deny that I was scared. Scared of the distance, scared of the cut-offs, scared of the weather and scared of eventual failure.

Rule #4: FEAR is broken, when shared.
Get all your friends to join you, the more the merrier. Confidence grows as you train together, not to mention shop together for all the cool and unnecessary gear and gadgets.
For more info, catch “Confessions of a Shopaholic”

Rule #5: Planning is half the battle won!
I always thought little green Yoda said this, but he did not. Anyway, if you are failing to plan, you are planning to fail.

Rule #6: TRAIN, TRAINING, TRAINED!
Less talk, more action! I think you are well aware that I am not referring to the Mass Rapid Transit.

Rule #7: Safety first, Speed errrr… second.
OKAY! I know I am not in an adequate position to say this, BUT safety is important too and crashing is not financially healthy!

Rule #8: Training helps, but so does shopping.
What I mean to say is that one must shop for the sexy / appropriate gear and make sure it is not obscene and fitting. Can you imagine wearing something uncomfortable and ugly for 8 hours?
GOSH! Please remember to look good and smile! I’m sure you want nice photos to remember your first Ironman!

Rule #9: There is a fine line between carbo-loading and overeating.
Real men cross this line.

*BONUS* RULE: Friends = Life Saving Motivation.






Rule #10: REMEMBER, pleasure or pain, it is all in the mind.
Rest well, have a checklist of all necessary items to pack into the transition. Stay calm, take it easy, smile, enjoy! You would be fine!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails