Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FatBird Interviews







We speak to Yrannath Ng or YN, a faithful follower of Team FatBird's I-Runs and Marathon Training. On 7th December 2008, she did her best for her 2nd marathon and achieved a very good personal best.


YN, with FatBird David during our Carbo Loading Dinner.

T: For a start, give us a brief introduction about yourself.

YN: My name is Yrannath Ng (YN). I have never really enjoyed running till Y2006 after my gal fren asked me to "follow" her for some AHM Registration and was 'pyschoed" to join my very 1st 10km Run for AHM'06. I clocked @ 62 mins and inspired me to try out 21km for SCSM 2006 which my bro has doubt that I can clocked within 3 hrs. I proved him wrong by 2 hrs 22mins though I don't train much as I was more to gym workout like Body Attack / Body Combat / Body Pump and occasionally Body Jam & Yoga.

My friends told me to try 42km in Y2007 which I thought will be my 1st and last as well ... but i did quite badly @ 5 hrs+++ so I tell myself to tryout for another time in Y2008 which I did and never regret to do so.

T: Wah 5hrs +++ and its already bad ah? Haha. Anyway, Congrats for completing the marathon. We heard that you did very well for this year's SCSM08 with an improvement of close to 1 hour in timing, completing in close to 4hr 15mins. Care to share with us on this marathon experience?

YN: Thanks. I am very happy that I clocked a good timing this year. Marathon Training is very important. I got leg injury during May & June 2008, couldnt do any gym workout at all. So I started slow jog by myself to see if I can pickup running again in July. Then a gym friend introduced me I-Run Team Fat bird @ Raffles Place. I joined the group with regular training on Tues / Thurs / Sat or Sun for progressive long runs till the Race Day. It was amazing and training with the group of Pacers & Pacees at RP or ECP on Sats & Suns motivated me to appreciate and understand more about running.

T: So do you think that the training runs that you have been doing with Team Fat Bird helped?

YN: Definitely. Training with Team Fat Bird really helped me a lot like the various Pacers' motivation and guidance along the way on the Dos & Dont's. Regular newsletter update really helped me along the way.

T: Was there any other secret weapon / trainings that you had used to achieve such a great improvement? Do you think the pacers were useful in helping you achieve the target that you had set for yourself.

YN: During Race Day, I followed 4.30 hr Pacers at Starting Point. David Ong, one of the Pacer was very motivating and keep giving advices to Runners along the way & i followed the pacing till 20km then I moved further up to 4.15 hr Pacer...Along the way, whenever I see other timing's Team Fatbird Pacers, they will cheer me up "Keep Going" , "Good Pace Good Pace" and "All The Way, You Can Do It" etc...that's how it motivated me to keep striving further and faster during the whole SCSM'08 Race on Sunday.

T: Any personal tips or word of advice that you would like to share with future marathoners?

YN: Follow Team Fat Bird's Slogan : Follow Our Pace and You Will Win Your Race. Go & attend regular training sessions with Team Fat Bird and you will definitely make it and personal best your timing.

T: Lastly, share with us your future marathon plans and tell us something we all don't know about you.

YN: I will definitely do more Marathons like Overseas Marathons and maybe a Sundown 84km in future. I really can't stop laughing or grinning even though I am seriously talking or having a discussion.



Both typical hokkien and born in the year of the monkey! Now you know how old we are and why we always bring bananas! Ha ha!! We were both not very active in sport when younger although Beng has been jogging occasionally in the past. We started running sometime mid this year and have been running regularly now through i-run and the weekend training with Team Fat Birds. Since then, our lifestyle has changed. We are spending more time under the sun and lesser time indoor. We are also no longer becoming couch potatoes and Beng’s “Dunlop pillow” tummy is almost gone...less huggable but fitter! J We are now healthier and hardly fall sick, definitely in better shape. As for me, I am definitely in “bigger” shape. With all those running and feeling hungry most of the time, I have been eating like a hungry ghost and have put on some weight! Arrrrgghhh…looks like I need to run even more!

Ah beng and Ah Suan with a photo taken during our Familiarisation Run.


Firstly, Congratulations on completing your Half Marathon and 10k respectively! Job Well Done!
T: Now for a start, tell us how did this running thing started for both of you:

Beng: In the past due to work nature, I could only jogged, either alone or occasionally with a few of my colleagues, on ad-hoc basis. As my job nature has been changed early this year, I could now run on a more regular basis and when I heard about I-run through Suan, I thought it was a good idea to join her, and through that get to know Team Fat Birds and the rest is history.

Suan: I wanted to keep fit and because of my work location and timing, I was not able to join Beng for the occasional run in the past. When I heard of I-run, I decided to join as it was more convenient. I have been running till now and am still enjoying it! J

T: Running together as a couple, do you think it has helped to bond the both of you even closer together?

Beng: err… (shy..)

Suan: Definitely! We work hard together, had fun together and ache together too! Beng being the fitter and faster runner means that I will have to keep chasing him! See…definitely boost his ego and moral! And good motivation for me too, chasing my “love”! Ha ha ha!

T: How do you find the Team Fat Bird training programme? Was it useful in helping you achieve the goals that you have set for yourself?

Both: Oh yes, definitely helpful! We are both very grateful to Team Fat Bird! Many thanks! The training indeed helped us to strengthen our stamina and we get to meet all the wonderful people/friends before, during and after the run. We truly admire their dedication and passion for running and appreciate all their effort and hard works in planning the training and all activities. Oh, and of course, all those yummy, delicious carbo-loading sessions we had too. Through the training, we are now fitter and our stamina have improved tremendously and sometime ago, we can’t even imagine completing a 10km run! However now, we are able to achieve that and even more through Team Fat Bird’s training. We also learn many running tips from them which definitely help. It was hard work and great fun!

T: Share with us your running plans for 2009.

Beng: To be fitter and faster, and to complete at least one full marathon in 2009

Suan: Improve on my timing for 10km and Safra half marathon and if possible, a full marathon by year end.

T: Lastly, tell us all something we duno about your partner! :D

Beng: She eats more than me!

Suan: He snores, definitely a 2 lit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails